old61 Fort Beauharnois Historical Marker

Fort Beauharnois Historical Marker

MnDOT Inventory Report

Located In: Florence Township, Goodhue County.

Constructed: 1940.

National Register: Eligible

The Fort Beauharnois Historical Marker is located along the northeast side of U.S. 61/U.S. 63 at the junction with County Road 2 between Red Wing Lake City near Old Frontenac.

It was constructed in 1940 by the National Youth Administration (NYA) along a stretch of concrete highway completed in 1936. The marker featured information on early french trading posts along Lake Pepin in the 18th century.

U.S. 61/U.S. 63 adjacent to the marker was realigned to the south in 1953. The old highway was originally retained as part of the entrance, but was later removed to simplify the junction with County Road 2.

Photos - Taken in August, 2009.

View of the marker, looking north.

Back to >> Articles