Historic U.S. 61: Lake Pepin Viewing Area
Lake Pepin Viewing Area
Located In: Florence Township, Goodhue County.
Length: 0.16 miles
Also Marked As:
The Lake Pepin viewing area on the south side of the Disabled American Veterans Rest Area north of Lake City is actually a surviving portion of the original paved highway between Lake City and Red Wing.
The road here was graded in 1924 and paved with concrete, 18 feet wide in 1925.
This short stretch was bypassed in 1936 to straighten the highway and provide for a wayside parking and viewing area.
The old pavement has been paved over, and the north end of the road has been rebuilt to incorporate it into the driveway of the modern rest area. However, the surviving section is readily visible to the trained eye.
Photo Tour - Photos from August, 2009.
Looking north down the old highway at the viewing area. Note the curve ahead, and the wall on the right.
Looking north again. The super-elevated curve on the old highway is readily visible. Also note the wooden posts on the right, which were once strung together with wire to form a guard rail.
A view of the stone wall, constructed in 1939 by the National Youth Administration (info from MNDOT Historic Roadside Development Structures Inventory).
A closer view of the wall and the view across Lake Pepin.